Thursday, August 2, 2007

Wild Game Last Night

Thank You Yuni Betancourt!!!

After Putz gave up the lead in the 9th I figured we were done for. 5 games back with 2 months to play! The best closer in the game giving up a 3 run lead in the most important game of the season.

But then along came Betancourt and all is good in Mariner land. Only 3 games back in the division, 1/2 game in the Wildcard with Cleveland going down the tube, and the hated Boston Red Soxs in town for 3 games this weekend.

Two managerial moves by McLearn last night I took note of. One I liked, one I didn't and it had nothing to do with the outcome. I loved the fact that he let Green pitch to Guerrero in the 10th. I know 2nd base was open, but I don't agree with walking the bases loaded especially with Anderson up next. The move I did not like is Jose Lopez's squeeze bunt in extra innings. There was 5 infielders, centerfield was wide open, and all you need is a deep fly ball to score the speedy Bloomquist. I wish Lopez would have got a chance to try and put one into the outfield.

The M's need to enjoy the day off today and get ready to take 2 of 3 from Boston this weekend cause they cannot afford to relax now.