Monday, November 10, 2008

The Passion Isn't There

The MNF game tonight: San Fransisco at Arizona. That sucks. Yes, they are both division rivals of the Seahawks but, like all other Seattle sports in 2008, the Seahawks are finished. Therefore, I decided to watch the Portland - Orlando game.

It kept me interested, the Trail Blazers won 106-99 but my passion for NBA basketball was missing. Growing up a Sonics fan, I have absolutely zero connections with Portland. Hence, the disconnect. In fact, I grew up disliking the Trail Blazers and loved it when Damon Stoudamire and Rasheed Wallace were too busy smoking pot to be competitive.

With the Sonics gone, I decided to choose a team to somewhat follow closely this season. Not be a fan of, I don't believe you can simply "switch" allegiances, but watch so I have a foot in the NBA.

Let me tell you, there is a definite change in viewpoint when you aren't a fan of either team and don't have any team to follow. I knew this was going to happen once the Sonics left, but it's different when it actually happens.

I loved living in a city that had all three major American sports. Losing one of them makes me feel belittled, second-class. I truly hope the NBA returns to Seattle soon. I know that passion can return, I will feel emotionally invested again. Until then, I'll follow Portland with Seattle natives Brandon Roy and Martell Webster and former Sonics player and coach Nate McMillian.

I know exactly when the passion will return: The day the Oklahoma City Thunder come to Seattle.